Exercise 1. Translate the following sentences into English using passive constructions.
Exercise 2.Read the text General training exercises. and find all the Passive forms.Choose from sentences A-H the one which fits each gap (1-6). There is one extra sentence which you don’t need to use.
The Search for the Truth
How can the truth be discovered? Is there a reliable and safe way to make sure others are telling General training exercises. the truth?
0 F According to the story, King Solomon, who was renowned for his wisdom, was once faced with two women both claiming to be the mother of the same baby. He threatened to cut the baby in half in order to settle the disagreement. The General training exercises. truth was revealed instantly when the real mother offered to give up her baby rather than see it die. Of course, interrogators who lack Solomon's legendary wisdom have to rely on other methods to discover the truth.
1 In the past, the basic techniques used to get prisoners to General training exercises. reveal the truth varied. They included physical torture, depriving prisoners of sleep, making them stand for hours with their arms stretched above their heads, and putting them in solitary confinement, a practice which is still employed today.
In modern times the techniques commonly used cause psychological rather than physical suffering. These methods General training exercises. may be effective in making prisoners or suspects talk, but when people are forced to confess, do they always tell the truth? 2 Obviously, the problem of distinguishing between lies and truth remains.
3 I Stress creates physical symptoms which can be recorded when trying to decide whether a person is General training exercises. telling the truth or not. The device used to record these symptoms is called a lie-detector or polygraph. It widely used by police and other agencies. It indicates whether the person questioned is being honest as records changes in the heart rate, blood pressure another physical General training exercises. factors during questioning.
Most polygraph experts now admit that the method is not perfect: even an innocent person will feel under stress when faced with a serious accusation. As a result, a more accurate technique has been developed. 4 Since most people would be guilty of this to some extent General training exercises. the polygraph will show some stress caused by the denial of the truth. For innocent people, this will be the highest stress they show, while a murderer will become even more stressed when denying a question about his or her involvement in the murder.
Recently, it has been shown that people General training exercises. can be trained to trick lie-detecting machines.
5 The fact remains, however, that some people make better liars than others.
6 The basic problem with all methods is the if the person is in control, they can easily mislead their questioners, while if the person is not General training exercises. in control due t pain or drugs, what they say may not be true at all.
Exercise 1. Using the verbs in brackets, complete the text below with the appropriate tenses. There is an example at the beginning.
THE CAR THIEF.
My cousin and her husband live in Hanwell, one of the suburbs of London. One General training exercises. morning they woke up (wake up) to find to their dismay that their car … (steal) from outside their house. They immediately … (phone) the police to report the theft, before … (leave) for work by bus.
When they … (return) home later the same day, they … (find) to their surprise that their General training exercises. car … (bring back) and was parked in its usual place outside their house. Under one of the windscreen wipers … (be) a small envelope.
They quickly … (open) it and … (find) a note … (apologize) profusely for ‘borrowing’ their car. The man who … (write) it explained that he … (not have) a car General training exercises. himself, and his wife … (go) into labor in the middle go the night with their first baby. So he … (hope) they … (not mind) too much that he … (take) their car without their permission in order to run her to the hospital, as it was something of an emergency General training exercises..
By way of compensation, he … (enclose) two tickets for the West End show Sunset Boulevard on Saturday evening. They … (be) both delighted as they loved Lloyd Webber’s music and … (try) for ages to get tickets for this particular musical.
It was a perfect evening. They … (have) front row seats General training exercises. and the show itself was every bit as good as they … (expect). They … (be) in such a good mood after it that they … (decide) to go for a meal at their favorite Italian restaurant. When they eventually … (get) home just after midnight, a new shock … (await General training exercises.) them. While they were away, their house … (burgle)! Everything of value … (steal). They … (know) immediately who the thief was because … (lie) on the kitchen table was a note in a handwriting they … (recognize), … (say): HOPE YOU … (enjoy) THE SHOW.
Exercise 2. Choose the correct item.
1. One morning last week I realized that General training exercises. my bike ………. from my garden.
A. had stolen B. had been stolen C. was stolen D. has been stolen
2. As soon as you ………. what you’re doing I’d like a word with you.
A. are finishing B. will finish C. will be finished D. finish
3. You’ve got three sisters, ………. ?
A General training exercises.. have you got B. don’t you C. isn’t it D. haven’t you
4. None of my letters ………. to Vera since her change of address.
A. were delivered B. are delivered C. is delivered D. has been delivered
5. He ………. to find a job but he had no General training exercises. luck.
A. had hardly tried B. tried hardly C. hardly tried D. tried hard
6. We ………. by a loud noise during the night.
A. woke up B. are woken up C. were woken up D. were waking up
7. They ………. for half an hour when the doctor came.
A. have waited B. waited C. had been General training exercises. waiting D. were waiting
8. We’ve been very busy ………. .
A. late B. lately C. later D. later on
9. By the time we came to the park the park gates ………. already.
A. were locked B. were being locked C. had been locked D. would be locked
10. Our work ………. last night so we General training exercises. can relax this morning.
A. had been finished B. finished C. was finished D. had finished
11. Let’s go to theatre tonight, ………. ?
A. will we B. do we C. won’t we D. shall we
12. Pat ………. by her parents for two years before she was awarded a scholarship.
A. was General training exercises. supported B. had been supported C. supported D. has been supported
13. When we were younger, we ………. go dancing every Saturday.
A. would to B. used C. would D. had used
14. Although Shakespeare was a great dramatist, ………. that as an actor, he was only able
to play minor roles.
A. it is General training exercises. thought B. it thought C. it thinks D. thinking
15. The ambassador heard that ………. at his post a year longer.
A. he be staying B. he will have stayed C. him to stay D. he would be staying
16. Although she was listening, she didn’t hear ………. because there was so much noise.
A. what General training exercises. said B. what did he say C. what he was saying D. what said he
17. The family has been in America ………. .
A. in last year B. for a last year C. after last year D. since last year
18. She ………. catch the bus every morning, but now she rides with her General training exercises. fiancé.
A. used to B. is used to C. use to D. was used to
19. The roof of the building ………. in a storm a few days ago.
A. has been damaged B. was damaged C. is damaged D. was being damaged
20. I’m the worst student in our class, ………. I?
A General training exercises.. aren’t B. amn’t C. isn’t D. don’t
21. This is the first time the painting ………. to the public.
A. is shown B. is being shown C. has been shown D. was shown
22. I have ………. to the USA.
A. never gone B. never been C. not gone D. not never been
23. Hurry General training exercises. up! We haven’t got much time. The train ………. at 5.30.
A. is leaving B. leaves C. has left D. has been leaving
24. They ……….. a beautiful house in the country years ago.
A. would have B. were having C. used to have D. have had
25. The children ………. to the seaside for a General training exercises. day.
A. were took B. were taking C. were being taken D. were taken
26. George can’t use his car now. It ………. at the garage.
A. is being serviced B. has been serviced C. was serviced D. will be serviced
27. He looks terrible because he ………. well for weeks.
A. didn General training exercises.’t sleep B. hasn’t slept C. has been sleeping D. was sleeping
28. I’ll give you the money as soon as I ………. .
A. be paid B. am pay C. am paying D. get paid
29. The office ………. cleaned when I left.
A. has still B. was still being C. was still General training exercises. D. still being
30. ………. he wrote his first book when he was sixteen.
A. It is said that B. It is said to C. He is said that D. He is said to
31. Don’t drive too fast, ………. ?
A. don’t you B. do you C. shall you D. will you
32. He General training exercises. ………. his talk when he was interrupted.
A. had hardly begun B. hardly begun C. hardly had begun D. began hardly
33. Vitamin C must be taken daily, as it cannot ………. by the body.
A. store B. stored C. be stored D. be storing
34. Fred ………. that they had moved to London.
A General training exercises.. said me B. told me C. told D. told to me
35. An election ………. In the autumn, the government announced this morning.
A. is held B. will be held C. will have been held D. is being held
36. I’ve bought two tickets to Paris. Alex and I ………. tomorrow.
A. to leave B. will leave General training exercises. C. leave D. are leaving
37. She didn’t use to work here two years ago, ………. ?
A. did she B. used she C. didn’t she D. did she use
38. I’m terribly sorry, I had no idea you ………. deputy director.
A. are appointed B. were appointed C. had been General training exercises. appointed D. has been appointed
39. No one was surprised at the change in Bank Rate. It ………. by the investors.
A. was expected B. had been expected C. is expected D. was being expected
40. He refused to go to the theatre because he ………. an exam in a few days.
A. was General training exercises. having B. had C. will have D. has had
41. You’ll never forgive him, ………. ?
A. won’t you B. will you C. will you not D. you will
42. Dan Brown’s books ………. in any bookshop.
A. you can buy B. will buy C. can buy D. can be bought
43. Many interesting books ………. by the General training exercises. company this year.
A. are published B. have been published C. were published D. will have been published
44. The Gregorian Calendar ………. All over Europe at the same time, since Italy adopted
it in 1582, England in 1752 and Russia not until 1918.
A. introduced B. was introducing C. wasn’t introduced D General training exercises.. wasn’t introducing
45. ………. that five people died in an explosion.
A. They are reported B. It has reported C. It’s reported D. It’s reporting
46. How long ………. Susan?
A. you know B. are you knowing C. do you know D. have you known
47. I ………. three more days to decide if I want to accept General training exercises. their offer.
A. gave B. have given C. have been given D. will give
48. Kate ………. most of her money by the time she goes back home.
A. will spend B. will be spending C. will have been spent D. will have spent
49. I’ll see you in August when I ………. back General training exercises..
A. will come B. come C. came D. will have come
50. How long did you say you ………. these pills?
A. take B. are taking C. have taken D. have been taking
51. I ………. busy since we last met.
A. am B. have been C. was D. had been
52. Did he say General training exercises. whether ………. lend you the money or not?
A. could he B. can he C. he could D. he
53. Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in America, . ………. in 1607.
A. was established B. it was founded C. founded D. colonists arrived there
54. I’m not hungry. I’ve eaten three sandwiches ………. .
A General training exercises.. yesterday B. two hours ago C. at two o’clock D. today
55. Oh, there’s no tea? OK then. I ………. some orange juice.
A. am going to have B. will have C. will be having D. am having
56. If we don’t hurry, all the tickets ………. by the time we get there General training exercises..
A. are sold B. will sell C. will be sold D. will have been sold
57. For the past few days I have been working in Jack’s office, as my own office ………. .
A. was redecorated B. is redecorated C. is being redecorated D. has been redecorated
58. That’s Christine’s mother General training exercises. over there, isn’t ………. ?
A. that B. her C. she D. it
59. We ………. by Mrs. Jones for five years before she returned to her own country.
A. taught B. have been taught C. had been taught D. were taught
60. The entire coastline will be covered by smog tomorrow unless something ……….
to General training exercises. clean up the air.
A. will be done B. is done C. is being done D. will have been done